Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My Ferry Adventure


GeoTagged, [S33.87310, W151.22306]

So...I moved in to my apartment last Wednesday. It is small, but I love it. Now that i am not staying next door to the office, I have spent the last week trying to determine how I am going to get to/from work every day, which has been interesting.

On Thursday, it was raining so I took my umbrella and headed to the train station. It wasn't too bad, but on the way to the station there is a huge hill so you get nice and steamy. And the station is stuffy, so you all know how I like being hot in my work clothes!! I cant imagine what it is going to be like in the summer!

Well, on Thursday night when I am leaving work, it is not raining and I leave my umbrella there because I forget to, and do not yet realize how important it is to take with you at all times. Friday morning...it's pouring rain, so I decide to take a cab. $25 dollars (and only 2 miles) later I am at work. Learned my lesson there. Have an umbrella with you all the time!

Lets try the ferries...over the weekend, I tested out the ferries and thought, this is how I want to go to work. Took a ferry to work Monday morning (that is the picture), it was awesome. Very nice way to go to work. I worked a bit late on Monday night, and it was starting to get a bit cloudy outside, but I thought that I can still ride the ferry. What's a little rain hurt, and I have an umbrella! So I catch the ferry at 8:45pm It's raining cat and dogs by this time so I just hop on and ask "do you go to Jeffrey street". He says yes. Well, two stops later I realize this should be my stop, but its not?!? Shit!!! So I ask someone working on the ferry and I am sure he is thinking 'another dumb american' and he confirms that we are, in fact, going the wrong way. He was very nice and went to ask the driver what they can do. He comes back to tell me that I'm going the complete opposite direction and there is nothing I can do (I.e. If I get off I would be waiting for them to come back and get me). I thought about crying, but instead got out my computer and worked. What else do I do?? Well, a bit later, we get to the end of the ferry line at Olympic Park (which is super far from me) and where they Olympica were held. So I was basically in the water whee the rowing competitions were held. Haha! Too bad it was night tine and I couldn't use this as a photo opportunity! The crew takes a break before they had to head back to downtown and decide they think I actually might be nice and invite me to sit up with them in the front. They probably felt sorry for me because I was the only moron on the ferry in the pouring rain and this late at night. So for the next 30 minutes I at least had people to talk to...and don't worry, I asked lots of questions and I am sure it was entertaining for them. They were actually very informative. I have some new scoop/areas to go see.

Finally, we get back to circular quey, which is where I can get on ANOTHER ferry to go home. But as I am getting off, and to make the night more interesting....the driver/captain (not sure what you call him) hands me his number and says to call him sometime! Haha!

Back on the right ferry. Only one stop...a short walk home and I walk in the door at 10:50pm. Whew! What a night!!!

(ps...Megan honey - forgive me if I have typos...I am on my iPhone. Hee hee).

3 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHA! I can't believe the captain of the ferry gave you his digits. That is awesome. I hope you call him - this could make for some excellent blogging material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the material I am interested in. Keep making misstakes and keep sharing them with us back home. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude. you are such a trooper. i wish i could give you a big hug! and how awesome that you are blogging from your phone?! wowsers.

    btw - was the captain cute/age appropriate? now sure what demographic to expect from a ferry guy.....

    ReplyDelete