Horse racing here is HUGE! There are races all of the time and a lot of the Aussie guys are obsessed with it. In nearly all of the pubs/bars, they have "pokie" rooms, which is not what you would think...hee hee. They are gambling rooms. They have slot machines and bookies (or whatever they are called) to take bets on the races. The guys here are nuts about it, it's kind of funny. So this week is the big racing week called Spring Carnival. There are races every day. In Melbourne, which is where the majority of the races are, Tuesday is a public holiday for the whole state because the Melbourne Cup is that day. But here there are parties everywhere in all of Australia that day. We actually have a PwC lunch with the whole office (2,500 people) at the convention center and we get dressed up and bet and drink all day. I think that I can manage that...though the dressed up part will be interesting. The girls wear cocktail/nice dresses and "fascinators" which are feathers, hats, etc. in the hair. The girls I work with made me get one, so we will see how this goes. I will definitely be posting more on this...
My picture I am posting today is not of Sydney, but it is of my favorite Sunday morning activity...skyping with friends and family!! I love it ;) You guys all need to get on skype so we can chat!!
 |
Pokie room is better than the smush room! Can't wait to see pictures of you with fascinators in your hair!
ReplyDeleteNot my best side, but I did enjoy our 5 hour conversation. It was just like old times where we sit around in straight back dining room chairs for hours, talking and eating and drinking.
ReplyDeleteAWH!! I want to skype for 5 hours...I really miss you love. I'm such a loser for not getting skype yet. I think about you often and cannot wait to come check out a pokie room. ;) All my love - I'll get skype asap!!! M
ReplyDeleteGet skype Megan!!!
ReplyDelete