Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Aussie phrases

Someone suggested to me that Ievery now and then should post Aussie phrases and words that I have learned, so here are a few that I can think of for now. 

Pay him/her out - make fun of him/her
Stacked it - bad fall, which I of course did a few weeks ago...
Have the shits - annoyed/pissed (first time someone used that at work it was a bit strange...)Bogan - moron/idiot
Brizzvegas - Brisbane, Queensland
Lollies - all candies, not just lollipops
Grid Iron - American football
Chrissie - Christmas

Oh...and Chrissie is "Happy Chrissie" as opposed to Merry Christmas

Also, if you shorten any work and either "o" or an "ie" it is probably in the Australian dictionary - ambo (ambulance), arvo (afternoon), defo (definitely), spreddie (spreadsheet)...

And yes, they really say this stuff all of the time!  I will post some more in a few weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Spreddie. I'm going to start using that at work. I'm sure no one will mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "have the shits" is clearly the best one. i would have loved to be there the first time you heard that one!

    ReplyDelete